Link to Home pageimage icon: navigation menu

Henry Groves & Son Ltd

☎ 07973 214536

pipe organ builders · nottingham

Portfolio of new organs


All Saints, Risley (2005)
2 manuals  13 stops

The organ was built in 1897 by Brindley & Foster and was paid for by Terah Hooley, a local business man. In 1950 estimates for renovation and improvements were obtained from Henry Willis and Sons. In 2005 changes to the specification and mechanism, funded by donations and legacies, were made by Jonathan Wallace of Henry Groves & Son.

Before the 2005 overhaul there was a lack of variety in the tone colours available for accompanying hymn singing and playing a lot of the organ repertoire. The string stops had their uses in softer playing and as a contrast to the flute sounds, but they didn’t really justify their place. Now there are many choices for hymn accompaniment — Swell to mixture is a bright and clear organo pleno and everything works as it should.

Great

Open Diapason 8
Rohr Gedact (A) 8
Geigen Principal 4
ZartFlöte (A) 4
Fifteenth 2

Swell to Great

Swell

Violin Diapason 8
Lieblich Gedact 8
Gemshorn 4
Piccolo 2
Mixture
Trumpet 8

Swell octave

Pedal

Bourdon (B) 16
Bass Flute (B) 8

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal


Other new organs

Newnham, St Mark’s (2015)
reconfiguration and enlargement of the 2-manual organ
Calverton, St Wilfrid’s (2012)
a five-rank two-manual and pedal direct electric modular organ
Balderton, St Giles (2010)
two-manual and pedal, 17-rank direct electric modular organ, sited on a mezzanine floor, with new low level terraced console
Selston, St Helen’s (2010)
Halam, St Michael’s (2009)
new 7-rank extension organ, utilising some old pipework
Mansfield Woodhouse, St Edmund’s (2008)
rebuild and repositioning of two-manual and pedal Willis organ, with mobile detached console, using the original case
Wingerworth, All Saints (2006)
Linby, St Michael’s (2005)
new instrument, using much previous pipework, in new divided case
Risley, All Saints (2005)
Smalley, St John’s (2004)
Melbourne, United Reformed Church (2002)
Darley Abbey, St Matthew’s (2000)
Whitwell, St Lawrence’s (2000)
Epperstone, Holy Cross (1999)
Calow, St Peter’s (1998)
Smalley, Baptist Church (1997)
Cleethorpes, Corpus Christi (1996)
Criccieth, New Jerusalem Chapel (1996)
Marlpool, Church of the Sacred Heart (1994)
church closed in 2004