Link to Home pageimage icon: navigation menu

Henry Groves & Son Ltd

☎ 07973 214536

pipe organ builders · nottingham

Portfolio of rebuilds


St John the Evangelist, Carrington (2009)
2 manuals  31 stops

St John the Evangelist, Carrington

The organ was originally built for the house of a Mr A E Allen in Radcliffe-on-Trent by Roger Yates in about 1930. The organ was moved to Carrington in 1949 by Hill, Norman & Beard and installed in a small chamber which then separated the chancel from the north aisle Lady Chapel. In 1991 it was modernised and a new action installed by Wood of Huddersfield. Later, the re-ordering of the church necessitated removal of the organ to a new west end gallery.

Relocation to the new west end gallery allowed for the expansion of the limited 8-stop Swell division to 12 stops. An additional ‘Yates’ soundboard was installed for Principal, Mixture and Trompette, and a new Bassoon 16ft / Oboe 8ft electric chest was installed. An Open Wood 16ft was installed on the Pedal at the rear of the organ. The structural swell box (12ft wide x 8ft deep) is at the lower level, with Great and Pedal divisions above.

The new case, designed by the church architect, was built in-house by Jonathan Wallace.

Great

Violone (Pedal) 16
Open Diapason 8
Claribel Flute 8
Viola 8
Octave 4
Fifteenth 2
Mixture 19.22.26
Posaune 8
Oboe (Swell) 8

Swell octave to Great
Swell to Great

Swell

Geigen 8
Bourdon 8
Salicional 8
Vox Angelica (ten.C) 8
Principal 4
Flute Ouverte 4
Octavin 2
Cornet 12.17
Mixture 15.19.22
Bassoon 16
Trompette 8
Oboe 8
Tremolo

Swell octave
Swell unison off
Swell suboctave

Pedal

Open Diapason 16
Violone 16
SubBass 16
Quint 10⅔
Principal 8
Flute 8
Fifteenth 4
Octave Flute 4
Posaune 16
Bassoon (Swell) 16

Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Great & Pedal combs coupled

Accessories

5 thumb pistons to Great
5 thumb pistons to Swell
5 toe pistons to Pedal
5 toe pistons to Swell
5 general thumb pistons
Tutti thumb piston

Reversible thumb piston Sw-Gt
Reversible thumb piston Gt-Ped
Reversible thumb piston Sw-Ped
General cancel piston

200 piston memory levels


Other rebuilds

Melton Mowbray, St Mary’s (2018)
complete rebuild and re-ordering of the 3-manual Hill/Walker organ, including addition of pedal 32ft Contra Trombone and a 5-rank Great Cornet
Hartshill, Holy Trinity (2016)
Mansfield, St Mark’s (2014)
electrification of the 2-manual Brindley & Foster organ, including a new winding system and re-ordering to improve tonal egress
Southwell, Minster Song Room (2014)
Thurgarton, St Peter’s (2014)
Waltham, All Saints (2012)
rebuild and re-ordering of the two-manual 1905 Brindley & Foster organ on new direct electric modular soundboards
Wollaton, St Leonard’s (2012)
rebuild and enlargement of 2-manual Willis organ to 3 manuals
Ashbourne, St Oswald’s (2011)
rebuild of the 3-manual Hill organ, including an additional nave organ and tonal improvements
Carrington, St John the Evangelist (2009)
rebuild and relocation, from chancel to west end gallery, of the 2-manual Yates organ
Quorn, St Bartholomew’s United Church (2007)
rebuild of the 2-manual Taylor organ with organ chamber re-ordering to improve tonal egress
Bulwell, St Mary’s (2006)
rebuild and enlargement of a 2-manual Forster & Andrews organ to 3 manuals
Blackwell, St Werbergh’s (2004)
Deeping St James, Priory Church (2003)
Heath, All Saints (2003)
New Mills, St George’s (2003)
Brampton, St Thomas (2002)
Mapperley, St Jude’s (2002)
Thurgarton, St Peter’s (2002)
Stoney Middleton, St Martin’s (2001)
Mapperley, Mapperley Methodist Church (2000)
Alfreton, St Martin’s (1999)
Brimington, St Michael’s (1999)
Gedling, All Hallows (1999)
Arnold, Church of The Good Shepherd (1998)
Nottingham, Bramcote Crematorium Chapel (1998)
Sheffield, St Aidan’s (1997)
Tideswell, Tideswell Methodist Church (1997)
Riddings, St James (1996)
Chesterfield, Rose Hill United Reformed Church (1995)
Hathersage, St Michael’s (1995)
Arkley, St Peter’s (1994)
Frognal, St Andrew’s (1993)
Willingham, St Helen’s (1993)
Wellingore, All Saints (1992)