At the heart of this new three-manual instrument is the pipework from a large, fine two-manual J W Walker organ built in 1932 for the Great Hall at Wyggeston Grammar School for Boys, Leicester. This has been augmented with four well-matched ranks from a contemporaneous extension organ built by Rushworth & Dreaper for St Margaret’s church, Aspley, Nottingham in 1933 and now redundant; these R&D ranks make up most of the Pedal and Choir organs of the new instrument.
In addition, a few select ranks have been retained from the previous St Mary’s organ—most recently rebuilt by John Males in 1986—and suitably revoiced; the Choir Clarinet is former stock from the firm of the late Peter Collins.
Three digital ranks have been employed to add weight to the pedal division where space does not permit the necessary pipework, and some judicious extension / borrowing has been employed to increase the flexibility of the available ranks.
The action is direct electric throughout, with a mobile detached console made by Renatus, and control system by Musicom Systems.
Great to Pedal Swell to Pedal Choir to Pedal Great & Ped Combs coupled
* Rushworth & Dreaper ranks. With the exception of the Choir Clarinet, Choir Fifteenth, and Great and Pedal mixtures, all other ranks are by J W Walker
ACCESSORIES 6 thumb pistons to Great, Swell & Choir Reversible thumb pistons for Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, Choir to Pedal, Swell to Great, Swell to Choir
8 General thumb pistons General Cancel thumb piston Setter thumb piston 3 Stepper Advance thumb pistons Stepper Retard thumb piston
6 toe pistons to Pedal & Swell (or Generals 1-6) Reversible toe piston for Great to Pedal Reversible toe piston for Swell to Great Reversible toe piston for 32ft flue Reversible toe piston for 32ft reed Stepper Advance & Retard toe pistons Balanced swell pedal
Capture system with 200 levels of general memory and 9 levels of divisional memory ’DNA’ Recording and playback system with tablet control