mobile console; organ on platform above new vestry
St Wilfrid’s originally housed a 5-stop, one-manual Brindley & Foster organ of 1880. The church was in need of a vestry but still wanted to retain a pipe organ. We were able to offer them the ideal solution to suit their limited budget. Within the existing organ chamber footprint a 19-stop 5-rank extension organ has been installed on a new mezzanine floor, and a vestry/office has been created underneath. The whole instrument is enclosed in a swell box with shutters facing north and west.
A redundant Walker 4-rank extension organ was purchased and this pipework formed the basis of the instrument, together with a new Trumpet stop (a gift, donated by guests for the wedding of Mr & Mrs Geoff Nield—Geoff being project manager and organist).
The organ now sings out into the body of the church, and with the re-ordering of the church, the mobile console can be positioned as required for all events. Inclusion of MIDI on the organ allowed Geoff to record 3 months’ worth of music, hymns etc. so he still played for the services whilst away on his honeymoon.